Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Let me Introduce you to PDR!


Ok, so you may already be well acquainted with this maganificent smoke (and I know many people are based on the 'Likes' on our FB page), but I don’t believe it gets the respect and attention that it deserves.

I came across this PDR (Pinar Del Rio – just so happens to be where my Dad was born in Cuba) 1878 Capa Oscura as I was skipping along in the giant humidor of Cuban Crafters in Miami.  I practically came to a dead stop as if the cigar was staring at me and saying, go ahead, I dare you.

I’m not sure if I’m at the point where I can actually hear cigars speak, but I promise you that this one was talking to me!  I answered, ‘Oh, you think you're big time…you’re gonna get smoked, BIG TIME!’.  And with that I grabbed a couple of these beauties and headed for the register.  We had several more words on the ride home, but that same evening I couldn’t take it any longer.  I gave it my favorite V-cut, and took a torch to it, then POOF, it came to life!

This is an all Dominican cigar, made by Abe Flores of Pinar Del Rio.  The oily 5x52 was looking for trouble and boy did it find it.  It was a smoky and flavorful journey that excited my pallet, but never overwhelmed me.  Despite it’s darker (Oscura) color, it remained mild to medium and just kept delivering solid flavor all the way down to the nub.

The draw was even, the smoke continued to billow out of the cigar after every puff, and ultimately was an extremely enjoyable smoke.  I need to dig around a little more and see what else Abe Flores has to offer, and if it’s anything like this, I guess many more are gonna get ‘smoked!’.

1 comment:

  1. Hey there! Thanks for the post. I know a good company (ttp://www.customtobacco.com/) that will customize your cigar bands for you.

    ReplyDelete