Monday, March 11, 2013

Love that cig’GAR’!

There’s a man by the name of George Rico, who has quite a family history in the cigar industry. Now in the company’s fourth generation it’s George who has been tasked with growing the family legacy.

I saw George recently at The Great Smoke in West Palm Beach, and he passed me a stick of the new GAR Opium. He also more than kiddingly suggested I should turn that band into a ring for him, which we would be honored to do.

In any case, last night I pulled out the Opium and gave it a proper cedar stick light! Already a big fan of the brand and the Gran Habano’s which I probably smoke more than any other cigar, I was truly looking forward to this one.



 I am glad to say it did not disappoint even in the slightest. The stick lit up instantly and gave me some delicious flavors and spices right off the bat. It had a very unique flavor that also came through and lent a bit of sweetness to it, which balanced it off nicely. The first third was just about as pleasant as a cigar can be.

The second third continued to draw easily, burn evenly and offer plenty of flavor and smoke. I actually saw as I exhaled the swaths of smoke escaping through my screened in porch riding on the breezes of the beautiful day. Oh what a site!

The last third did push back a little bit, and turned somewhat stronger to the palette. It’s not that I wasn’t enjoying it, I think I was just hungry and decided to turn it off before I got to the true nub. I always try and smoke cigars I enjoy down to the nub, and although I did enjoy this one, it didn’t quite make it.

Overall, loved the smoke, and the band is just as awesome. If I can only get George’s ring size we can get this done! Thanks again George, you are making the cigar tradition proud. Keep up the great work.


No comments:

Post a Comment